Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Tops

It's probable that even the most seasoned blog reader is not attached to lists the way I am. Here it really helps clarify what services provided by websites are considered the most valuable, helpful or enjoyable. For whatever reason, these are the sites that drag people back.

I was aware the whole time that one site's placing wasn't a sure indicator of the popularity of the product they provided. Perhaps they exercise a monopoly of some kind. I'd say at a rough estimate, popularity is crowded for some products and services and dominated by a few players with others. So it depends.

Instant messaging is popular in the app. That makes sense. There isn't as much need to have an instantaneous medium where one is restricted to websites; why not email?

Bottoms

When it comes to the worst, a search under Internet products and services is endless complaints about Internet service providers. I think I even saw Choice's name pop up.
As for products, here's a fun site that looks at the worst products sold on the Internet. Or at least they're for sale; too crap and people won't buy. I wouldn't swear by that though.

As for Internet products, you could do worse (well no you couldn't, that's the point) than Motherboard article "Some of the Worst Internet of Things Products You Could Buy This Christmas" [I love the hyperlink title too]

Given that we're likely to only deal with the big ones, its my brand of curiosity to look at worst video sharing sites. Was Video Sift in 2008 knocked out of the competition by that review?

With social networking it's going to be the sites that are most popular that are also lambasted. It's all one giant argument. I can recall campaigns against dangerous or destructive influences when I was a kid and they continue to this day when looking at social media.
You can go and search for your own worst search engines.

The reason I say that is because my furtive attempts at finding out which search engines failed in their task threw up the names of ones we've canvassed or they swiped from each other. I guess all the Internet can be said to have this tendency; the wider the message is disseminated, the more likely it will be copied or co-opted.
Would it be right to highlight Blekko when it is only fifth worst on someone's list (below Ask Jeeves cum Ask.com)?

I had no part in choosing the worst encyclopedia 

Port-a-loo portals

You can do a bit of online shopping, you can sell online or you can even go online to bag out online shopping websites.  I can quite imagine eCommerce is a fertile ground for shysters to ply their trade. Not to mention novices who make the experience painful.

Photo sharing is variable in picture quality.

It's scary to even look at bad Internet security and my search for bad entertainment sites wasn't very entertaining.
Image result for bad portal


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home