Isle, sea: about that
Again not considering the continental landmass, here are the ten largest island countries
- Indonesia 1,904,569 sq km yes, they may not be setting off an invasion force but the islands of Indonesia challenge us on another front.
- Madagascar 587,713 sq km known for its lemurs
- Papua New Guinea 462,840 sq km (note the appellation)
- Japan 372,801 sq km known for its technology and its lack of natural resources that forces it to use nuclear power in an environment prone to earthquakes and tidal waves
- Malaysia 329,758 sq km is many things but an offshore processing centre, I think not, whatever its proximity to our waters
- Philippines 300,000 sq km is long recovered from dictatorship and has become a source of amour for our lovelorn
- New Zealand 269,057 sq km is another island neighbour. We seem to have a few.
- Great Britain 229,957 sq km - the source notes the requirement to mention the complex arrangement of countries and counties that constitutes Great Britain. Many of us can trace our ancestry to this island country.
- Cuba 110,861 sq km long the demon bogie with its Communism unsupported since the collapse of the Soviet Union; still it persists
- Iceland 103,000 sq km source of the ethereal, at least going by their musical acts