Sunday, March 22, 2009

Can ignorance II

Here we go, the Macho Response's standard on ignorance:

According to the national survey commissioned by the California Academy of Sciences:

* Only 53% of adults know how long it takes for the Earth to revolve around the Sun.

* Only 59% of adults know that the earliest humans and dinosaurs did not live at the same time.

* Only 47% of adults can roughly approximate the percent of the Earth’s surface that is covered with water.

* Only 21% of adults answered all three questions correctly.


Without cheating, let's see how close I get:


  1. 365 days (approx.)
  2. see my own posts about the millions of years separating the two
  3. two thirds


How'd I do?

Answers:
1. Earth revolves around the sun once per year. The axis of rotation points in the same direction throughout the yearly trip.
2. creation science is a contradiction in terms
3. 71%

Five per cent out on the third but not within a ballpark figure of being 'ignorant' so I think we know what the macho's apprentice can do with his shit hat now.

(Note how conservatives always go on about liberals being oblivious to all but their own perspective yet compare the incuriousness of the two. Why is it that, even when I get right up their nose, they never pop over to my blog and see what I have to say? After all, though I disagree with most of their standpoints and their method of argument, I do take the time to check them out. TMR thinks I come from South Wales so he got part of the way - the profile! - so I guess that's something)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home