Thursday, November 22, 2007

On our election

If you don't want to be bombarded with election material, it's best not to ever write to your local member. At least that's the lesson I seem to be getting as our local member, Kerry Bartlett, fights for his political life in what is now very much a marginal seat.

Since my response letter to his welcoming me to the electorate ten years ago was overwhelmingly critical of Liberal Party policy, I don't know what he hopes to achieve by sending me enough paper to warrant a pulp mill. I think he's a pretty decent guy but I've hated his government for a long time and nothing would convince me to vote for anyone associated with the current Ministers.

I took the Get Up poll that tells you, based on your responses, which candidate most fits with your preferences and - no surprises - the Green candidate came up trumps, followed by Labor. It was reassuring to know that I was pledging my allegiance to a party that really reflected my core values.

For the rest of you lot: vote Green in the Senate. Or anyone other than the major parties; just grab a brain. the Upper House is supposed to be a house of review. Ensure that it is.

I confess that I've had a history of being a 'swinging voter' but that swinging has been between third parties like the Greens and the old ADs and exercising my anarchistic conscience and not voting for any of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home